Thursday, August 12, 2010

South Dakota Library Challenge, Lesson 7

Part 1: Archive Grid
I had never even heard of Archive Grid, so this was a good resource to learn more about. I looked up Sitting Bull, and found the little biography of Sitting Bull. It didn't give a lot of information, but it would be a good starting point to learn more. This link was actually a link to an artifact held by the Cornell University library, a card and envelope autographed by Sitting Bull. I liked the ability to find items in archives this way.
When I did my own search, I looked up Jack the Ripper, a strange little fascination of mine. I wasn't actually expecting to find anything, but I actually got 20 results. Some of them were from the collection of the papers of David Abrahamsen, who wrote an analysis of criminal minds, including Jack the Ripper. There was also a diary in one collection containing references to the Ripper murders. There were also papers in one archives of Cuthbert Druitt, cousin of Montague Druitt, a suspect of the crimes. There were papers of a man who had been a witness at the inquest of one of the Ripper victims. Several links were to movie-related collections, having to do with one of the "Jack the Ripper" films. I was really surprised to see all of these things come up. Some had very detailed lists of items in the collection. One would generally have to actually go to the archives to see the papers and use the information, but just knowing where to find it is a great start if you were deeply researching a certain topic.
Part 2: CAMIO
I did the Paul Revere search, and was pleased to see how many photos of his lovely silver work there were. Some were by Paul Revere and some by Paul Revere, Jr. I am not sure if those are both Paul Revere or if one was his son. There were also some works that popped up that were about Paul Revere, not by him, such as "The Ride of Paul Revere". Each item had a small photo that you could click on to see a bigger image and get more detail about the work.
When I searched under "Sioux", I got nice results as well. Lots of images of Native American artifacts and artwork. There was a wide variety of items.
For my own artist, I chose to search for Georgia O'Keeffe. This was a little difficult because I wasn't sure of the spelling of her name. I typed in Georgia O'Keefe, and got no results at all. Unlike some search engines, it did not come up with an alternative suggestion. I searched again under "Georgia" and this time got lots of results, mostly for Georgia O'Keeffe (Two f's! Who knew? After 4 semesters of art history, you'd think I would!). Once I had the correct spelling I could eliminate all of the non-relevant results.
Our library could use this resource in many ways, the main one being for the art students. I know when I was in school, the professor would assign us to copy a master's work, usually giving us several masters to choose from. It would be nice to be able to look each one up right there and do a comparison of their work to decide on the subject matter. There is also the ability to sort by medium (drawings, watercolor, photos, etc.) so if you're only looking for oil paintings it's sorted for you. You can also save them to favorites, and from there you can do side-by-side comparisons, view them in a slideshow, and move them around into whatever order you want. Very useful resource!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Shari! You are not the first to be tripped up by tricky Georgia's last name! Yes, spelling counts. That aside, you've found good value in CAMIO for your students. I actually think there is something for most content areas here. Your ArchiveGrid finds are very interesting! You're right; this is for serious researchers. It makes finding the location of documents a lot easier even if it requires going to the owning institution. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete