Wednesday, August 18, 2010

South Dakota Library Challenge, Lesson 8

This week's lesson was about Learning Express Library. This site is a great source for test preparation and many other things. I actually used this site quite a bit last fall when I was preparing for my GRE test. There are many sample tests available and I gave them a good workout.
For today's lesson, I tried a practice test for the ACT English section. I only answered a few questions, so of course when I went to score it my score was dismal. It did inform me that my score indicated that I may need more practice for the test, and gave some suggestions for what I should do. I liked how it broke down the score and made it very easy to understand. (GRE scores are very difficult to make sense of, but the ACT was much easier!)
Next I went to the "Job search and interviews" section and chose a course on job interviews. This was a very useful course....it had loads of information. There was information on how to dress, how to make small talk, what type of questions there might be, and even how to follow up after the interview. This would be very useful for someone looking for a job.
I checked out the e-books section and was also very impressed. Lots of books about how to improve study and academic skills in general. I chose a book about "How to write great essays" and really liked the easy format. It was really nice to be able to scroll through the list of books and be able to choose one and view it immediately.
All of these tools are very useful, and I can see that they would be especially useful to someone who doesn't live very close to a library, since they are all accessible online. It is easy to set up an account, and easy to navigate around the site.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your continuing education, Shari! It's great to hear testimony from someone who has used this "for real." We think Learning Express has a lot to offer, and your comments show that you agree.

    ReplyDelete